van der Woerdt, Alexandra, DVM, MS, DACVO, DECVO
Staff Doctor; Head of Ophthalmology
Dr. van der Woerdt is board certified by both the American and European Colleges of Veterinary Ophthalmologists. She came to The AMC in 1994 and currently heads our Ophthalmology Service. Dr. van der Woerdt also serves as the director of Postgraduate Education at the Animal Medical Center. Dr. van der Woerdt has received several honors and awards, including the Clendenin J Ryan Memorial Teaching Award in 2001 and was named Veterinarian of the Year in 2006 by the New York City Veterinary Medical Association. She received the award for outstanding service to veterinary medicine from the New York City Veterinary Medical Association in 2015.
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists, 1994
- Diplomate, European College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists, 2000
- DVM - State University of Utrecht, Utrecht, Netherlands, 1989
- MS - The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, 1994
- Enders A, van der Woerdt A, Donovan T. Endogenous mycotic endophthalmitis in a dog with candiduria and Evans syndrome. Vet Ophthalmol. 2016 Mar 3. doi: 10.1111/vop.12373. [Epub ahead of print]
- Komaromy AM, Abrams KL, Heckenlively JR, Lundy SK, Maggs DJ, Leeth CM, MohanKumar PS, Petersen-Jones SM, Serreze DV, van der Woerdt A. Sudden acquired retinal degeneration syndrome (SARDS) – review and proposed strategies toward a better understanding of pathogenesis, early diagnosis, and therapy. Vet Ophthalmol, 2015 Jun 20. Doi: 10.1111/vop. 12291 (EPub ahead of print)
- Boss C, LaCroix NC, Wilkie DA, Maggio F, Wiggans KT, Kasier K, Sapienza J, Kim K, Strauss R, van der Woerdt A, Schmidt GM. Complications following phacoemulsification in pugs: a retrospective study of 30 cases. Proceedings 46th annual conference of the ACVO 2015: 81
- Van der Woerdt A. Canine Uveitis. In: Kirk’s Current Veterinary Therapy XV, chapter 249, pages 1162-6. Eds Bonagura JD, Twedt DC. 2014
- Wilkie DA, van der Woerdt A, Gemensky-Metzler AJ, Norris K. Clinical assessment of an epithelial sodium channel (ENAC) blocking agent (ZP-1) in reducing clinical symptoms associated with keratoconjunctivitis sicca (KCS) in dogs. Proceedings 44th annual conference of the ACVO 2013: 47
- Stades FC, van der Woerdt A. Diseases and Surgery of the Canine Eyelid. In; Veterinary Ophthalmology, fifth Edition,, chapter 14, pages 832-893. Eds Gelatt KN, Gilger BC, Kern TJ. 2013
- Chandler JA, van der Woerdt A, Prittie JE, Chang L. Preliminary evaluation of tear production in dogs hospitalized in an intensive care unit. J Vet Emerg Crit Care 2013 (23 (3):274-9.
- Van der Woerdt A. Ophthalmologic diseases in small pet animals. In: Ferrets, rabbits, and rodents: Clinical medicine and surgery; eds. Chapter 37 Quesenberry KE, Carpenter JW; Saunders. New edition, 2011
- Montgomery KW, van der Woerdt A, Aquino SM, Sapienza JS, ledbetter EC. Periocular cutaneous mast cell tumors in cats: evaluation of surgical excision (33 cases). Vet Ophthalmol 2010:13(1):26-30.
- Montgomery KW, van der Woerdt A, Aquino SM, et al. Periocular cutaneous mast cell tumors in cats: evaluation of surgical excision (33 cases, 1996-2009). Proceedings, XV annual meeting of the ACVO 2009:72
- van der Woerdt A. Orbital Inflammatory Disease and Pseudotumor in Dogs and Cats. Vet Clin North Am; Small Anim Pract 2008;38(2):389-402.
- Montgomery KW, van der Woerdt A, Cottrill NB. Acute blindness in dogs: Sudden acquired retinal degeneration syndrome versus neurological disease (140 cases, 2000-2006). Vet Ophthalmol 2008;11:314-320.
- Book BP, van der Woerdt A, Wilkie DA. Ultrasonographic abnormalities in eyes with traumatic hyphema obscuring intraocular structures: 33 cases (1991-2002). J Vet Emerg Crit Care 2008:18 (4): 383-387.
- “Feline ophthalmology” - Clinical techniques in small animal practice. 2005, Volume 20, number 2. (guest editor)
- Aquino S, van der Woerdt A, Eaton JS. The effect of topical nalbuphine on corneal sensitivity in normal canine eyes. Proceedings, XXXVI annual meeting of the ACVO 2005:43
- Van der Woerdt A. Iris nodule in a cat. Clinician’s brief 2007 (June), pp 7-8.
- Czederpiltz JMC, La Croix NC, van der Woerdt A, et al. Putative aqueous humor misdirection syndrome as a cause of glaucoma in cats: 32 cases (1997-2003). J Am Vet Med Assoc 2005;227:1434-1441.
- Sapienza JS, van der Woerdt A. Combined transscleral diode laser cyclophotocoagulation and Ahmed gonioimplantation in dogs with primary glaucoma: 51 cases (1996-2004). Vet Ophthalmol 2005;8:121-127.